Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Descriptive Essay Checklist

Checklist for the Descriptive Essay
                                                                                                                                   

My check
Instruc-tor’s check
To do in the Descriptive Essay:


The format and section headings of my pages follow the samples illustrated in the handout, “wk9_descriptive_essay_format.”


The essay is 6 – 7 pages in length. The margins are 1 inch, the lines are double-spaced, the font is Times Roman, and the size is 12.


I provide an Introduction and a Conclusion.


I include primary section headings for 4 – 5 categories with details about my preferred career specialization. I describe facts under categories of job characteristics, such as --  Duties & Tasks; Skills & Training Needed; Work Style & Conditions; Advancement & Promotion; Employment & Wage Outlook; & Lifelong Learning (Continuing Education).


I provide in-text citations in APA style to 4 different Web sites at the places in my essay where I draw information from the sources.  


Each of the Web sites in my References has a different domain. For example, I cite only one web site with the domain of bls.gov, or onetcenter.org. At least two of my sources are among those listed in the handout, “wk8_descriptive_essay_content.”


Fair Use and avoiding plagiarism --
I do not copy-and-paste and/or quote more than one sentence from each Web site. I avoid copying an entire list of items from a Web site, and take only 2 – 3 items from a list. If I use the exact phrase or sentence from a source, I quote it. I paraphrase and cite the remainder of the content that I use from a source. 


At the end of the Descriptive Essay I list alphabetically in APA style the References to the 4 Web sources from which I obtain the job characteristics mentioned in my essay.


I provide a brief annotation under each of the four References, which evaluates the Internet source cited in the Reference.


In each annotation for a source I evaluate the source with at least two of the objective criteria:
Accuracy, Authoritativeness, Coverage, Currency, and Objectivity.


I saved my essay in the LIBS100 folder on the S-drive with a file-name like “descriptive_essay.” I saved the file to my storage device, if I intend to work on the essay at home.